Main Office:

FAQs – Personal Injury  General Questions

When should I report a claim?

You should report a claim as soon as possible because there are various legal requirements which dictate the timeframe when claims can be reported and filed. These deadlines depend on the type of claim you have, the place where you were hurt, and different state and federal laws. Contact Viñas & DeLuca for a free and confidential consultation and more information on getting started with your claim.

When should I contact an attorney?

You should contact a lawyer immediately. Our law firm never charges legal fees unless we are successful in winning your case. So, consultations are always free. You should contact a lawyer immediately because claims are subject to a statute of limitations, or the legal time period in which a claim can be filed. These deadlines vary greatly depending on the nature of your case and the place of injury. Our lawyers can help you in understanding these laws and pursuing a claim if you choose to. Also, you should contact a law firm immediately so they can assist with you in communicating with insurance companies and gathering and preserving critical evidence which you will need in your case.

Is there an initial consultation fee?

Our Firm does not charge an initial consultation fee. A fee is charged only when a case is successfully settled or litigated. If you have any questions at all, feel free to call our attorneys. We will be more than happy to speak with you, answers your questions, and help you determine whether pursuing a claim makes sense in your case.

Is it okay to give the insurance companies information about the accident?

Initially, victims are not obligated to give a recorded statement or sign any forms regarding the accident in question. However, individuals are required to timely report an accident to their own insurance company. It is extremely important that victims speak to an attorney prior to providing any information to an insurance company as the information provided may ultimately be used in their case and can sometimes inadvertently work against the injured individual.

When should I go to the doctor?

You should visit a doctor immediately if you have been injured or if you feel any pain or discomfort. Do not wait for legal representation. Seek medical help immediately.

How do I know if I have a valid case?

The only way to determine if you have a valid claim is to seek legal advice from an attorney experienced in personal injury and wrongful death matters. However, before any lawyer can tell you whether you have a claim worth pursing, that lawyer must have an initial consultation with you in order to learn the facts and circumstances relative to your case. Only after obtaining this information and conducting a full investigation of your case can a lawyer help you determine the best method to pursue your claim.

What information will a lawyer need?

You should bring the following documents to the initial consultation: any medical records or bills that relate to your case, your drivers license, all health and automobile insurance cards/information, physician contact information, all accident report(s), witness information, and any information regarding contact from the insurance company and/or potential defendant.

Will I be required to go to court?

You may, though today most cases are settled out of court. A trial will only be necessary if your case cannot be resolved. However, if your case proceeds to trial you will likely need to appear in court. If this is a concern of yours, the best thing to do is speak with an attorney about your options for pursuing a claim.

How long will it take to resolve my case?

This depends on the complexity of your case. Some cases are resolved quickly while others go through extensive litigation. But in all cases, the lawyers at Viñas & DeLuca work to resolve cases in the most efficient manner they can. Our lawyer do not charge a fee until a client’s case is fully resolved.